[TYPO3-dev] <base> tag and IE6

Dmitry Dulepov [typo3] dmitry at typo3.org
Sun Sep 9 19:30:45 CEST 2007

Elmar Hinz wrote:
>> You overestimate it by saying "every developer". And the answer is "no"
>> because it will violate part 12.4 of HTML specification, which says:
>
> Hello Dmitry,
>
> I am sorry to need to correct you again. From the statements of multiple
> core developers in the NG Content Redering Team you can conclude that TYPO3
> targets XHTML specification since version 4.0 at least.
>
> This means, that HTML 4.01 is obsolete for TYPO3 core since version 4.0. As
> XHTML 1.1 is still in draft state, it's obviously that XHTML 1.0 [1] is the
> current specification for T3.
>
> Also note, that it has been recommended at the time of the 4.0 release to
> use UTF-8. I remember that this was an important difference to 3.8. I can't
> give the source, but I guess you can find that in some of the documents
> upon internationalization published by Kasper at that time.
>
> Recommended in this sense means, that UTF-8 still was not the default setup,
> but that advanced and professional users should already configure it in
> this way.
>
> Recommending UTF-8 implicitely means to give priority to the use of MySQL5
> to MySQL4, because it is much better prepared for that.
>

> To summerize the state at version 4.0:
>
> XHTML (standard)
> PHP5 (enabled)
> UTF-8 (recommended)
> MySQL5 (recommended)
>
> Meanwhile time and versions have passed. It is obvious that PHP5 and MySQL5
> is recommoneded by the majority of the leading extension and core
> developers, while PHP4 is still supported.
>
> I would appreciate, if you would take this status into account when giving
> recommendations according software versions for T3.

I read your message twice. But I failed to understand what exactly you
are trying to correct. Did you try to correct my statement that "every
developer" is overestimate? What sources of statistics do you have?

I also cannot remember where you corrected me first time. Missed that I
afraid...

--
Dmitry Dulepov
Web: http://typo3bloke.net/