[TYPO3-dev] <base> tag and IE6

Elmar Hinz elmar07 at googlemail.com
Sun Sep 9 10:52:29 CEST 2007

Dmitry Dulepov [typo3] wrote:

> You overestimate it by saying "every developer". And the answer is "no"
> because it will violate part 12.4 of HTML specification, which says:

Hello Dmitry,

I am sorry to need to correct you again. From the statements of multiple
core developers in the NG Content Redering Team you can conclude that TYPO3
targets XHTML specification since version 4.0 at least.

This means, that HTML 4.01 is obsolete for TYPO3 core since version 4.0. As
XHTML 1.1 is still in draft state, it's obviously that XHTML 1.0 [1] is the
current specification for T3.

Also note, that it has been recommended at the time of the 4.0 release to
use UTF-8. I remember that this was an important difference to 3.8. I can't
give the source, but I guess you can find that in some of the documents
upon internationalization published by Kasper at that time.

Recommended in this sense means, that UTF-8 still was not the default setup,
but that advanced and professional users should already configure it in
this way.

Recommending UTF-8 implicitely means to give priority to the use of MySQL5
to MySQL4, because it is much better prepared for that.

To summerize the state at version 4.0:

XHTML (standard)
PHP5 (enabled)
UTF-8 (recommended)
MySQL5 (recommended)

Meanwhile time and versions have passed. It is obvious that PHP5 and MySQL5
is recommoneded by the majority of the leading extension and core
developers, while PHP4 is still supported.

I would appreciate, if you would take this status into account when giving
recommendations according software versions for T3.

Regards

Elmar

[1] that http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/