[TYPO3-dev] Reason for tables restriction of the CONTENT object

Patrick Rodacker patrick.rodacker at the-reflection.de
Wed May 23 21:33:54 CEST 2007

Hi Ernesto,

Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] wrote on 23.05.2007 20:43:
> Patrick Rodacker wrote: on 22.05.2007 20:29:
>
>> in one of my projects I needed the CONTENT element to use the table
>> 'pages_language_overlay' (...)
>
> Maybe you could explain why you need such a strange thing. Internally
> CONTENT object already will use pages_language_overlay exactly to be
> able to handle internationalization the "pages" table the "TYPO3" way.
> If you are accessing this "internal-use" table directly, you are
> overrunning what TYPO3 already does by itself, and I can't figure a
> reason to do so. Or is there any?

Maybe not ... I am not so sure anymore ;-)

I was searching for an easy way to check if a page has an related entry
in the pages_language_overlay table in another language than the default
one (sys_language_uid!=0). A TypoScript object should be only displayed
if a page has such relating entry in the table.

AFAIK the CONTENT object handles only the translation of the records by
the languageField setting so it was easier for me to use the direct
access of the table 'pages_language_overlay'.

I would be happy if you have an alternative approach I could use ...
maybe I am just blinded at the moment.

Regs
Patrick