[TYPO3-dev] relaease plans for typoe 4.2?

John Angel johnange at gmail.com
Tue May 8 08:58:12 CEST 2007

I still haven't heard ONE explanation why is this simpler:

object.stdWrap.if {
  value.data = some_value
  isLessThan = 1
  isGreaterThan = 10
 }

than this:

if($some_value>1 || $some_value<10) { $object->render=true; }

Above TS code is ridiculous. And you trying to tell me that somebody will
understand it easily?

> And let me guess why you want that: because you are used to PHP.
> But what if another user is used to BASIC, another one is still hacking

Are you joking? I'm not? The complete Typo3 is coded in PHP, why are you
mentioning Basic? Nobody thinks that complete dummies will use Typo3 as
professional tool.

>> You cannot make it procedural and that is necessary.
>
> Why? - It's a configuration array and there are different options that let
> you implement PHP functions to pre- or postprocess the stuff configured by
> this array. So there's no real necessity for procedural processing in TS
> itself.

There is a necessity. Speed + learning curve.

>> You have to be expert to build sites in Typo3 - that has to be
>> changed.
>
> Why? You have to be expert to use PHP too, but I don't hear you complain
> about it.

Why do you have to be PHP expert to build sites in Typo3? I don't like that
approach, also.

> Usually it takes about 2 or 3
> years to learn any professional job be it a motorcar mechanic, a designer
> or
> a programmer.

Why do you think it is good thing that you need to learn something that
much?

>> It doesn't matter what TS is. Nobody uses it except Typo3 community
>> and it is HARD to learn.
>
> Why? - I came from a designer's background when I started with TYPO3 a few
> years ago. My programming skills where HTML, CSS and JavaScript only. I
> had
> never used a real programming language before and hardly knew any PHP.

When you will stop looking from yourself point of view and see broader
perspective?

> Did you ever try to setup something like a complex HMENU structure with
> optionSplit and lots of different wraps with PHP only?

It is not necessary to kill TS. Just to change the way we use/access it.