[TYPO3-dev] relaease plans for typoe 4.2?

JoH asenau info at cybercraft.de
Tue May 8 00:57:48 CEST 2007

> I want to be able to output HTML by simply using:
>
> $page->output = "Hello world";
>
> instead of confusing:
>
> page.10 = TEXT
> page.10.value = Hello world

And let me guess why you want that: because you are used to PHP.
But what if another user is used to BASIC, another one is still hacking
Assembler and another one only knows Action Script. Don't you think it will
make a difference for them, if they don't have to learn _your_ favourite
language (which is the language TYPO3 is based on - lucky you) but some
configuration parameters instead that are the same for each and every TYPO3
user?

>> What will help is to create a consistent and clean naming scheme and
>> a cleaning up of the most weird syntax problems. I agree with you
>> that "stdWrap", "getText" and "if" should be changed completely. And
>> I'm sure they will change as, so it was my perception on T3DD07, a
>> consensus to clean up TS, but not to replace it completely.
>
> You cannot make it procedural and that is necessary.

Why? - It's a configuration array and there are different options that let
you implement PHP functions to pre- or postprocess the stuff configured by
this array. So there's no real necessity for procedural processing in TS
itself.

> You have to be expert to build sites in Typo3 - that has to be
> changed.

Why? You have to be expert to use PHP too, but I don't hear you complain
about it. Maybe because you already are a PHP expert and don't want to
invest the time to become a TYPO3 expert too? Usually it takes about 2 or 3
years to learn any professional job be it a motorcar mechanic, a designer or
a programmer. You have to learn how to use the tools that are necessary for
each of these jobs. Why do you expect this to be different for TYPO3
professionals?

If you run into problems regarding TypoScript feel free to ask here in the
newsgroups or maybe consider paying a coach. And yes, this is something I do
for my living ;-)

Joey

Dieter Nuhr, German comedian
openBC/Xing: http://www.cybercraft.de