[TYPO3-dev] T3ONE.com

Mario Rimann typo3-coding at rimann.org
Wed Mar 7 21:59:08 CET 2007

Hi

Elmar HInz schrieb:
> The important difference is that this Trac only passivlely displays the
> central common repository. It is only used to browse the source. It is
> not used to edit anything. There is a reason why we don't use the wiki. A
> trac with wiki editing would belong below the typo3.org url.

You're right, trac (in this setup) is just used to display data from SVN
and to browse the source corde. But one thing is the same as with
t3one.com: Someone felt like "we (could) need this, so I'm going to set
this up right *now*", and just did it.

I think we have one ground-problem here: How many rights do we give away
to anyone?

Just think about what would happen, if *everybody* could set up
*anything* and bring it up as foo.typo3.org. The result would be a huge
chaos. That's the reason, why some things need to be approved by a
central team/person/...(?). But on the other hand, this leads to exactly
the same issues as we see it with the trac instance and t3one.com. They
are set up on another server, with another URL, and are not directly
integrated with typo3.org.

>> That's the way I understood you.
>
> You did unserstand me partly.
>
> Yes, typo3.org really needs improvement with community tools. That is
> something I tell since 3 years now, but with web2 this vision becomes part
> of everybodys mind.

I partly agree. The typo3.org platform needs some polish, I fully agree.
There are some things missing, sure. But I wouldn't say that the website
nor the community are bad or wrong. But as always: There is space to
improve things.

> No, I don't think it a nice option to integrate that into typo3.org. I
> regard that as an absolute prerequest. I can't judge if this people misuse
> the name of the community for personal interests or if it is only the
> proceeding that takes the wrong way. I hope for the latter. But the way it
> is done now does not look correct for me. It has a smell.

I'm not involved in t3one.com and I'm not saying that anything about
t3one.com was run perfectly. You're right, it should be connected to
typo3.org. But for me it's ok, that those guys just set it up and
brought it online. As they announced it officially as *beta* of
something that can be successful - but may also be failing. In my eyes,
it's a broad acceptance test.

And I think such an acceptance test shouldn't just result in positive
feedback. You'r critism will be heard and may be something moves. As you
know: From beta to final, there are worlds between...

So just lean back and look what happens to t3one.com. And don't see
anything in black and white. I cannot imagine that t3one.com will have
any negative impact on the strong TYPO3 community, even if it will fail.

Cheers,
Mario