[TYPO3-dev] Joomla - GPL bleibt GPL

JoH asenau info at cybercraft.de
Sat Jun 23 00:54:17 CEST 2007

>> On Friday, 22. June 2007, Elmar Hinz wrote:
>>> The cases TYPO3 and Joomla cover libraries not compilers.
>>
>> In case of Extensions this might be true but TS is a declarative
>> language interpreted by Typo3. I can't see how this would count as a
>> derived work in the sense of the GPL.
>>
> Following your argumetation I could say that PHP extensions are mere
> text files. If they access objects that sound like TYPO3 objects
> that's by accident.
>
> IMHO there is no fundamental difference if you call TYPO3 libraries
> by a textfile that contains TS or PHP. PHP and TS are innocent
> languages themself. It depends what you do with them.

We had this discussion before and I guess you still don't get the point:

It's not TS that is "calling" TYPO3 libraries, it's just vice versa: TYPO3
is calling TS as a configuration array that tells the system which of the
libraries should be called and how this should be done.

If you want to compare it it's more like php.ini or httpd.conf or compared
to another "language" it's very close to XSL.

You can even create your own TypoScript that can be called by an extension
that is completely based on PHP code which is not using any TYPO3 libraries.
TYPO3 is using it's own parser to interpret TypoScript and this is what any
other kind of software could do even if it's not based on PHP.

If people are creating packages that are based on their own special TS setup
and some HTML,CSS and images to give you a ready made and working TYPO3
site, they can use whatever license they like without ever violating the
TYPO3 license because they don't use, extend or modify any of the TYPO3
libraries.

You may not like it or find it immoral, but this doesn't change the legal
situation and even the "Joomla case" doesn't tell anything else.

Got the point now?

Joey

Dieter Nuhr, German comedian
openBC/Xing: http://www.cybercraft.de