[TYPO3-dev] Bug 1039 - Why T3 has that few success in asia!!!

Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] ernst at cron-it.de
Fri Jun 8 15:36:07 CEST 2007

Elmar Hinz wrote: on 08.06.2007 13:00:

> bug 1039 mentions -- rather as a subordinate clause -- the problem to
> store UTF-8 into an UTF-8 database.

This works very fine already. I have several working installations with
that. On 4.1.1 at least even phpMyAdmin displays everything correctly. I
have:

$TYPO3_CONF_VARS['BE']['forceCharset'] = 'utf-8';
$TYPO3_CONF_VARS['SYS']['setDBinit'] = 'SET NAMES utf8;';

The database and its tables (and its text-fields) are all set to
"utf8_general_ci".

> If you can't store UTF-8 cleanly into an UTF-8 database, you will not be
> able to execute alphabetical sorting queries for characters, that are non
> ASCII. So it's a limited problem for european languages with many ASCII
> characters but makes Typo3 nearly useless for non european languages.
> Right?

Using "utf8_general_ci" might be not good enough on german sites
regarding sorting, because there is no german-oriented collation, like
we have in latin-1 (where you have two different choices). In UTF-8
general MySQL treats Ü as U for sorting. In Latin-1 MySQL can regard Ü
as UE. But at least it is better than having UTF-8 data in latin-1
tables. ;)

Cheers,
Ernesto