[TYPO3-dev] Setting default language / iso-8859-1 to utf-8

John Angel johnange at gmail.com
Fri Oct 6 08:38:03 CEST 2006

Hi

As Michael Stucki suggested, I am raising discussion here regarding default
language issue, ref:  http://bugs.typo3.org/view.php?id=0002673

Typo3 considers English as default language, i.e. sys_language_uid=0.

If I want to make site is some other language (e.g. purely in Russian), I
would have problems with garbled chars. Since it is not possible to change
default language to Russian in BE 'Website Language' section (no option to
change language with ID=0), all labels and text fetched using
LLL:locallang.xml would contain question marks instead of normal chars.

The reason is that Typo3 recodes everything to iso-8859-1 charset for
default language. The resolution is:
1/ to change all 'iso-8859-1' to 'utf-8' in the code
2/ to make possible to change default language to something other beside
English.

Examples for (1) code change is shown in
http://bugs.typo3.org/view.php?id=0002673

Regards
John