[TYPO3-dev] Setting default language / iso-8859-1 to utf-8

Dmitry Dulepov dmitry at typo3.org
Fri Oct 6 08:58:15 CEST 2006

Hi!

John Angel wrote:
> As Michael Stucki suggested, I am raising discussion here regarding default
> language issue, ref:  http://bugs.typo3.org/view.php?id=0002673
>
> Typo3 considers English as default language, i.e. sys_language_uid=0.

Not 100% correct.

Default language *for FE* will be whatever you setup in your TS template
and it will affect language key for label from locallang files.

Default language for BE is English, however you always can change
language for BE user.

> If I want to make site is some other language (e.g. purely in Russian), I
> would have problems with garbled chars. Since it is not possible to change
> default language to Russian in BE 'Website Language' section (no option to
> change language with ID=0), all labels and text fetched using
> LLL:locallang.xml would contain question marks instead of normal chars.

Use UTF-8 in BE & FE. Or, if your site is pure Russian, use
windows-1251. I prefer UTF-8 for *any* site.

> The reason is that Typo3 recodes everything to iso-8859-1 charset for
> default language. The resolution is:
> 1/ to change all 'iso-8859-1' to 'utf-8' in the code

Good but raises questions about compatibility.

> 2/ to make possible to change default language to something other beside
> English.

As I wrote, you can already do it for FE. If you do not want to use
UTF-8 in BE, than make sure your BE user's language matches to site
language and all will work.

--
Dmitry Dulepov

Web: http://typo3bloke.net/