[TYPO3-dev] EM, TER2, XML and other animals

JoH info at cybercraft.de
Thu May 4 13:33:03 CEST 2006

>>> TER transforms extension list into XML
>>> TER sends XML (as zipped file)
>>> Client parses XML into array (after unzipping)
>>>
>>> Future:
>>>
>>> TER transforms extsion list into array
>>> TER sends serialized array (as zipped file)
>>> Client unserializes array (after unzipping)
>>>
>>> No need to handle, parse or do anything client-wise. Just forget
>>> about the XML. It's unnecessary overhead.
>>
>> You don't understand the problem. The array is too big to
>> unserialize at once.
>
> As far as I undertsood it's too big to parse with the XML parser. But
> if it's so large that even unserialzing fails the more I'd think of
> another mechanism to distribute the data.
>
> But if nobody comes up with another idea, I'd use your version (with
> a few comments why all of this splitting, etc happens)
>
> The only request is that the code should use uinique temp. names.
> Neither extensions.xml.gz nor extensions.bin are safe.

Well - I think it could be better to drop both: XML _and_ serialized Arrays.

As far as I can see there is a simple table containing one line for each
extension.
So why don't you send it as simple CSV values without the formatting
overhead of XML or serialized Arrays?
To split up the whole process into smaller chunks it could be a solution to
use different CSV files for each category.

So the first CSV file would setup the categories as an Array but only on the
client side.
While processing this array the client would load and process the necessary
CSV files for each category separately.

Just an idea

Joey

Dieter Nuhr, German comedian