[TYPO3-dev] EM, TER2, XML and other animals

Ries van Twisk typo3 at rvt.dds.nl
Thu May 4 13:47:20 CEST 2006

JoH wrote:

>>>You don't understand the problem. The array is too big to
>>>unserialize at once.
>>>

>>As far as I undertsood it's too big to parse with the XML parser. But
>>if it's so large that even unserialzing fails the more I'd think of
>>another mechanism to distribute the data.
>>
>>But if nobody comes up with another idea, I'd use your version (with
>>a few comments why all of this splitting, etc happens)
>>
>>The only request is that the code should use uinique temp. names.
>>Neither extensions.xml.gz nor extensions.bin are safe.
>>

>Well - I think it could be better to drop both: XML _and_ serialized Arrays.
>
>As far as I can see there is a simple table containing one line for each
>extension.
>So why don't you send it as simple CSV values without the formatting
>overhead of XML or serialized Arrays?
>To split up the whole process into smaller chunks it could be a solution to
>use different CSV files for each category.
>
>So the first CSV file would setup the categories as an Array but only on the
>client side.
>While processing this array the client would load and process the necessary
>CSV files for each category separately.
>
>Just an idea
>
>Joey

Actually I don't understand why we need to fetch the complete XML at all???
What is wrong with sending a query to TER and fetch the result in XML.

We just talk about 2000 records in a database (even if there where
20.000 records), that should be doable in a snap.
I search for news, and I get a XML feed with all extensions with news in
it (limited to let's say 200 extensions).

That XML can be parsed quickly with no big memery requirements and
displayed.
I know they have been doing this to get the load of typo3.org, but
really this is the wrong method.
Any database can handle and send at least 20-40 queries/sec, if
bandwidth is a problem then zip it up and send (like most webservers do
anyways).

Compare this : When I want to see a page on typo3.org, my browser
doesn't fetch a recursive version of the
complete typo3.org, doesn't it? it just fetches the part I am interested it.

just my 2 cents..

Ries

--
Ries van Twisk