[TYPO3-dev] RFC as tool to concept branch 5.x

Wed Jun 7 21:55:34 CEST 2006

Hello Daniel,

yours is a good contribution with valid arguments to this wicked thread.

Daniel Pötzinger wrote:
>  - I have to download latest version
>  - I have to open the OO file
>  - I have to change it, save it
>  - I have to upload the Extension again and hope nobody did it before..
> (maybe it is not possible because there is only one owner...)

You describe a team in discussion. For this phases of our work NG and Wiki
are definitly the better solution. I also postulated NG and Wiki
accompaning every TER kind of RFC.

Opening OO, editing and saving is more time consumting than writing an
email. That is an advantage in this case. The proposed kind of RFC has a
static nature. It ships bundled with example code and additional files like
UML diagrams.

Here I am not thinking of an instrument of discussion and teamwork, but
rather of end product (or static intermedium product as base of discussion)
of the discussion process. A kind of binding plan (if voted for), how we
want to implement TYPO3 5.x.

It is an elaborated, serious work by a single person. In example it could
be resulting of a diploma thesis to a special theme like the basical model
of the database relations.

At the same time it has the advantage to serve us as one documentation for
the phase after 5.x is ready. It is a kind of document done before
programming instead of being written after programming.  Docs written after
always come late.

Well, we can reach a similar effect of a completed work, if we freeze a
wiki page and prevent it from further edition. But then it is not that
smart package bundeled all together and ready to install as example.

Regards

Elmar