[TYPO3-dev] RFC as tool to concept branch 5.x

Martin Schoenbeck ms.usenet.nospam at schoenbeck.de
Thu Jun 1 22:25:21 CEST 2006

Hi Elmar,

Elmar Hinz schrieb:

> it must be simple. That's one point. But it must also bring results. Plain
> mailinglists regularly serve for 2 phases:
>
> a.) brainstorming: people give in long wishlists of feature requests
> z.) digesting: people complain why their wishes have not been implementet
> like they have imagined

Which way do you propose for discussing the proposals? If I take newsgroups
as a synonym at least here, I can't imagine a better way, to discuss the
RFCs.

> The process between a.) and z.) is regularly not supported by those who
> automatically shout: "Keep it simple". Read a dozen postings of the
> calendar newsgroup, if you don't directly catch what I mean.

I don't think, that's a valid prove for your assumption as I could present
an example exactly of the opposite. You may try to have look at the
development of SRCP in de.rec.modelle.bahn. Of course, some discipline is
necessary in citing and removing unnecessary citings.

> Just setting up a new mailinglist is simple, but it is no solution. It's
> just one of the needed tools. It servers the needs of the every day
> blabbarers as sozial side effect.

It doesn't even need a new mailinglist / newsgroup, but only disciplined
use of the designated threads.

Whether the result (and the basis for the next iteration) is presented via
a wiki or the TER is misused to present it, doesn't really matter. But I
think, a wiki has probably better support to see, what has been changed
since the last time somebody watched a certain discussion.

Martin