[TYPO3-dev] standard TYPO3 ajax framework

Sun Jul 16 16:22:16 CEST 2006

Andreas Balzer wrote:
> Hi!
> I would like to know, whether there is a discussion / result about a
> possible __standard__ ajax framework used by TYPO3?
>
> In my opinion, it's neccessary not to use many frameworks, but to focus
> on one, and maybe get it into core in the future.

Hi Andreas,

I personally come to the conclusion that we need two libraries. At least in
the current state of ajax libraries. Ajax libraries are of very different
nature and solve different tasks. I make out 2 target groups within TYPO3:

1.) People that work in PHP and search for a way to easy and quickly build
extensions that implement a simple exchange of dynamic parts a page.

2.) Poeple who want to do all the possible tricks, so that they need to
work with JavaScript.

Joerg Schoppet, Lars Quitsch, Jared White, J. Max Wilson and me have
provided a solution for a) including a basic tutorial to the TYPO3 community.

Ries van Twisk has already started the discussion if we additionally should
implement b) in form of Prototype.

See typo3.teams.extension-coordination.

As a node of the Research & Development Commitee ECT has the authority and
responsibility to lead to decisions on fields of extension coordination. So
that NG is the best place to bring your initiative to a practical result.

Nonetheless, the best decisions of the community don't help, as long there
is nobody to implement them. Maybe you like to start a joint effort with
Ries in case of a decision.

Regards

Elmar