[TYPO3-dev] TER troubles again

Michael Scharkow michael at underused.org
Mon Jul 3 09:52:57 CEST 2006

Hi Kasper,

I'll try to be less rant-ish next time, but Masi did even complain more
than I did ;) So SORRY if anything I wrote sounded like an insult, I
guarantee that it was not intended. And given we had this issue before,
I agree that there is some learning-resistance on my part, I'll try work
on that.

Kasper Skårhøj schrieb:

>> 2. I _never_ questioned your efforts of structuring TYPO3 development to
>> scale to its needs.
>
> You certainly did and that was the whole problem for me:

For clarification: I do acknowledge that you are working on it, I only
tend to disagree on the strategy. I don't think this is per se insulting
or anything, I have disagreed on other issues as well, and while I don't
expect to be consulted I at least hope that critism is not taken as insult.

> This is what I read pretty clearly:
> * Leadership of TYPO3 (me/Assoc) has part of the fault because...
> * We are busy creating teams that mostly will fail.
> * Proof: Look at Kaspers article and see how stupid they are!

I was only referring to the graph to illustrate the amount of teams that
are being intergrated (I agree this may be read otherwise). However, I
have *never* meant nor written anything that could possibly be read as
"see how stupid they are". That's why I was surprised by your reaction:
Even if you consider some things as failed (as e.g. extension reviewing
has multiple times) or not working properly, you don't insult those who
came up with the idea by calling them stupid. At least I don't.

> You were complaining and you do believe that I am "busy
> with
> planning and building crazy amounts of teams most of which never get the
> job done." That doesn't sound like you have an understanding for me
> being "busy with loads of other stuff."

Au contraire, I do understand this very well. But, coming back to Masi's
initial complaint, you will certainly agree that when all the important
people are busy with the "big picture" (and maybe even earning a
living,etc.) then the ugly day-to-day work tends to be neglected. My
argument was that a lot of those tasks can be solved without the
organisational overhead - you are free to disagree with that like
Michelle does.

> Oh boy, you didn't even read my article!? Its full of recognition of
> delegation of responsibility! And it clearly points away from the
> "trusted contributors" and to full opportunity and transparency for
> everyone to make a difference.

Yes, I read and understood your article. Notice the "until now" in my
quote? Actually, I did only fully agree with you. Please don't take
offense in that...

> I hope for someone with your caliber and involvement in the
> project that you will learn to follow Eriks three points of feedback
> better in the future (where you violated #1 and #2):
>
> * Will the rant demotivate people who are important to the TYPO3 community
> * Try to make the critism constructive
> * Try to give a proposal which is possible to implement

I do really try (and often fail) all the time, that's part of the learning.

Greetings,
Michael