[TYPO3-dev] TER troubles again

Kasper Skårhøj kasper2006 at typo3.com
Mon Jul 3 05:17:05 CEST 2006

Hi Michael,

>> How long time will you allow me to implement the idea Michael? I
>> don't
>> think you have _any_ right whatsoever to evaluate my efforts
>> before one
>> year from now. There are no quick fixes to the structure.
>
> Dear Kasper,
> I honestly don't know what I wrote that deserves such a harsh
> answer, in
> fact, I think I did not even write anything that has not been said
> before...
>
> 2. I _never_ questioned your efforts of structuring TYPO3
> development to
> scale to its needs.

You certainly did and that was the whole problem for me:

<quote>
I guess this is in part the failure of the community which seems to be
less willing to actually help than in other software projects, but also
(my guess) in part the fault of the TYPO3 leadership that is busy with
planning and building crazy amounts of teams most of which never get the
job done. If you read Kasper's article in the current t3n mag, you'll
see my point.
</quote>

This is what I read pretty clearly:
* Leadership of TYPO3 (me/Assoc) has part of the fault because...
* We are busy creating teams that mostly will fail.
* Proof: Look at Kaspers article and see how stupid they are!

I can't make anything out of it that this, sorry. My response was to
ask for how much time you would allow me to implement my plan.
Obviously that exposed your prejudice since you found it hostile.

> 3. I do think that a more bottom-up approach to team building is a

The TYPO3.org team is such a structure. It has come alive from
bottoms up. I'm just giving it public authority now. That is a good
thing.

> My only substantial criticism was what we call "Vereinsmeierei" in
> German, meaning that for a lot of tasks structural/administrative
> questions (team building) seem to be of more importance than
> functional
> issues (problem solving).

I have always been "problem solving" and now it is not scalable
anymore as argued by others in this thread. The mature response is
"team building". It will hurt a bit but there is no other way.

> 4. I proposed a short-term solution for typo3.org, not a silver bullet
> for all our problems.

... and in addition you had to injure those working on the long-term
solution. That's why I suggested in my other mail how your response
could have looked if you wanted to address both.

> 5. (concerning your other mail) Please don't come up with that
> "then do
> it yourself" response. I really did not complain here
> I did come up with code when I had time for it which I don't have now,
> unfortunately. In fact, if I could take more responsibility I would
> gladly do that, and I fully understand Robert and you and everyone who
> is busy with loads of other stuff.

Well, not quite. You were complaining and you do believe that I am
"busy with
planning and building crazy amounts of teams most of which never get the
job done." That doesn't sound like you have an understanding for me
being "busy with loads of other stuff."

The right to rant ONLY comes with the offer to serve. If you are
currently unable to serve then don't rant. Were you ranting? Well,
check your own mail: "Okay, I ranted as well...".

Notice that ranting is different than analyzing the core of the
issue. I agreed with the issue but took offense by all the negative
wrapping you gave it.

> That's why I fully agree with Elmar that delegating responsibility is
> the key here, that has not been done enough until now - instead there
> was the "safe" way of only working with trusted contributors which
> simply does not scale anymore.

Oh boy, you didn't even read my article!? Its full of recognition of
delegation of responsibility! And it clearly points away from the
"trusted contributors" and to full opportunity and transparency for
everyone to make a difference.

> The T3DD are exactly the right attempt to recruit more devs for TYPO3,
> but for lots of jobs (maintaining the website, mailing lists, etc.) we
> could take a shortcut and simply delegate jobs away from Robert,
> Stucki
> and others.

... which I'm doing, thank you, but please excuse me that I choose to
empower a true team instead of educating another bottleneck who can
then become the item of another flamewar a year from now.

I appreciate what you are _doing_ Michael and actually know of no one
else than you to turn to at the moment if we push Robert away from
TYPO3.org. I hope for someone with your caliber and involvement in
the project that you will learn to follow Eriks three points of
feedback better in the future (where you violated #1 and #2):

* Will the rant demotivate people who are important to the TYPO3
community
* Try to make the critism constructive
* Try to give a proposal which is possible to implement

Best regards,

- kasper

"A contribution a day keeps the fork away"
kasper2006 at typo3.com | +45 20 999 115 | skype: kasperskaarhoej |
gizmo: kasper_typo3