[TYPO3-dev] TER troubles again

Michael Scharkow michael at underused.org
Sun Jul 2 17:46:20 CEST 2006

Kasper Skårhøj wrote:

> How long time will you allow me to implement the idea Michael? I don't
> think you have _any_ right whatsoever to evaluate my efforts before one
> year from now. There are no quick fixes to the structure.

Dear Kasper,
I honestly don't know what I wrote that deserves such a harsh answer, in
fact, I think I did not even write anything that has not been said
before...

1. I don't blame anyone personally if things work less well than
expected. I only referred to your article because of the included graph
of the current team structure, which I think is conceptually very fine
but cannot match the number of the current contributors. I also fully
acknowledge that the whole structure takes time, but Masi asked for a
quick solution.

2. I _never_ questioned your efforts of structuring TYPO3 development to
scale to its needs.

3. I do think that a more bottom-up approach to team building is a
viable alternative to top-down project structures because it allows
individuals to grow into teams rather than pre-defined teams to recruit
members. Just think how the core team grew from you alone to the current
team: It was actual contributions first, team infrastructure and
committees second.

My only substantial criticism was what we call "Vereinsmeierei" in
German, meaning that for a lot of tasks structural/administrative
questions (team building) seem to be of more importance than functional
issues (problem solving).

4. I proposed a short-term solution for typo3.org, not a silver bullet
for all our problems.

5. (concerning your other mail) Please don't come up with that "then do
it yourself" response. I really did not complain here (that was Martin),
I did come up with code when I had time for it which I don't have now,
unfortunately. In fact, if I could take more responsibility I would
gladly do that, and I fully understand Robert and you and everyone who
is busy with loads of other stuff.

That's why I fully agree with Elmar that delegating responsibility is
the key here, that has not been done enough until now - instead there
was the "safe" way of only working with trusted contributors which
simply does not scale anymore.

The T3DD are exactly the right attempt to recruit more devs for TYPO3,
but for lots of jobs (maintaining the website, mailing lists, etc.) we
could take a shortcut and simply delegate jobs away from Robert, Stucki
and others.

Greetings,
Michael