[TYPO3-dev] Translations/localizing Typo3 4.0

tapio tapio.markula at dnainternet.net
Sat Jan 14 16:43:30 CET 2006

> I think that Your email Tapio, was not related into the path I started.
> Despite that Your idea of the language used in various contexts is correct,
> but should be discussed somewhere else. Maybe different national mailing
> lists
> could be correct place to give opinions of correct translations.

Why I discuss it here is that the label, which I mention is a *core*
label and the usage should be consistent in all translations.

> And I would correct You that since 3.8.0-dev the translation for :
> [editPageTitle]    Edit page header has been in Finnish 'Muokkaa sivun
> otsikkotietoja'
> which, I think, is much more descriptive and correct in the context.

Disagree because reasons, I mention. It is clear for *developers* - not
for ordinary people, whos task is just to update pages. If I remember
correct I have discussed this topic also with Michael Stucki.
He, me and P. Kidström was in that conversation.

The main problem of language labels is that they are too technical and
too much though of the side of developers, coders. Especially title
should be for *NEWBEES* .

> Problem in Finnish translation process is the lack of resources and same
> thing is in Swedish.

I understand this.

> A lot of noise and very little help. This means also that translators
> mood is very low when we get only this kind of feedback.

This is not a critique agains you personally - I have discussed with
Peter and Michael about *common principles*.

Michael addmitted the problem, which I have written. Peter Kidström
would be interested to help with the Swedish translation.

> At the moment translation process is frozen due several bugs and errors
> in programs for translation. (some of them have been existing more than two years !!!)
> Also how to translate extension which have change their labels into the
> xml format is unknow

there is an extension, which makes convert from php > xml - extdeveval

> Old bugs should be first corrected otherwise they'll still exists in
> 2009 !!!

good point

> these is  Typo3- team-extension-coordination who should first define the
> extensions
> to be included into the core, only after that You are able to translate
> and check the translations !!!

IMO there are many extension, which should be taken off from the default
installation - oldfashioned at least tt_quest and tt_new - they have
much better alternatives.

> A followup of this translation delays is that as I'm building a web-site
> for Typo3, I cannot publish it before I can offer a localized version for Finland.

I have used you csh_fi - quite ok. I have made some own translations for
example for sg_draganddrop, which is a cool extension.