[TYPO3-dev] Translations/localizing Typo3 4.0

Kari Salovaara kari.salovaara at pp1.inet.fi
Sat Jan 14 14:55:18 CET 2006

tapio wrote:
>> 2) I haven't seen any changes into the core labels since 3.8.0-dev ? Is
>> this right
>
> One comment about core labels. In the 'design' and 'dev' list I have
> discussed about the label 'Edit page header'. IMO and Peter Kidström it
> is really ackward.
>
> We think that it should be:
>
> en: 'Edit page properties'
>
> se: 'Änndra sidans egenskaper'
>
> fi: 'Muokka sivun ominaisuuksia'
>
> We think that
>
> 1) 'Edit page header' is too technical
>
> 2) 'Edit page header' is *misleading* - editing page properties concerns
> the *WHOLE* page NOT only something between <HEAD> </HEAD> tags.
>
> I hope this bad and misleading label has been discussed.

I think that Your email Tapio, was not related into the path I started.
Despite that Your idea of the language used in various contexts is correct,
but should be discussed somewhere else. Maybe different national mailing
lists
could be correct place to give opinions of correct translations.

And I would correct You that since 3.8.0-dev the translation for :
[editPageTitle]	Edit page header has been in Finnish 'Muokkaa sivun
otsikkotietoja'
which, I think, is much more descriptive and correct in the context.

Problem in Finnish translation process is the lack of resources and same
thing is in Swedish.
A lot of noise and very little help. This means also that translators
mood is very low
when we get only this kind of feedback.

At the moment translation process is frozen due several bugs and errors
in programs
for translation. (some of them have been existing more than two years !!!)
Also how to translate extension which have change their labels into the
xml format
is unknow. This is quite critical due there will be new extensions in
core, like htmlarearte
which cannot be checked or translated at the moment.

That's why I suggest that Typo3 4.0 release would be forwarded at least
two months !!!
Old bugs should be first corrected otherwise they'll still exists in
2009 !!!
Also to market Typo3 is quite difficult if You cannot localize Typo3.
And still one reason is that
these is  Typo3- team-extension-coordination who should first define the
extensions
to be included into the core, only after that You are able to translate
and check the translations !!!

A followup of this translation delays is that as I'm building a web-site
for Typo3, I cannot
publish it before I can offer a localized version for Finland.

Regards,
Kari

--
Kari Salovaara