[TYPO3-dev] Translations/localizing Typo3 4.0

Michael Stucki michael at typo3.org
Sun Jan 15 18:54:14 CET 2006

Dear Kari,

> tapio wrote:

Ah, tapio says something... :-)

>> One comment about core labels. In the 'design' and 'dev' list I have
>> discussed about the label 'Edit page header'. IMO and Peter Kidström it
>> is really ackward.
>>
>> We think that it should be:
>>
>> en: 'Edit page properties'

If tapio takes a look at the bug tracker, he could have noticed that this
was changed for 4.0.

> Problem in Finnish translation process is the lack of resources and same
> thing is in Swedish.
> A lot of noise and very little help. This means also that translators
> mood is very low when we get only this kind of feedback.

Sorry for you, but the same happens to the developers as well. Just ignore
them like I'm ignoring tapios postings with success :-)

> At the moment translation process is frozen due several bugs and errors
> in programs for translation. (some of them have been existing more than
> two years !!!)
> Also how to translate extension which have change their labels into the
> xml format is unknow. This is quite critical due there will be new
> extensions in core, like htmlarearte which cannot be checked or translated
> at the moment.

The reason for this is that the most recent TYPO3 code has not been moved to
Kaspers translation server yet.

I think he planned to do so together with the RC1 release, but I will pass
your questions to Kasper and hope he can answer them for you.

> That's why I suggest that Typo3 4.0 release would be forwarded at least
> two months !!!

Sorry, but that surely won't happen.

> Old bugs should be first corrected otherwise they'll still exists in
> 2009 !!!

Maybe, who knows. Maybe it would be nice to have a little more support in
the bugtracker. Currently there are just a few people who work on that huge
list of bugs.

> Also to market Typo3 is quite difficult if You cannot localize Typo3.
> And still one reason is that
> these is  Typo3- team-extension-coordination who should first define the
> extensions
> to be included into the core, only after that You are able to translate
> and check the translations !!!

The answer is simple: No extensions will be included, typo3/ext/ will remain
empty starting with 4.0. Exceptions are all system extensions which you
find in typo3/sysext/.

Regards, michael
--
Use a newsreader! Check out