[TYPO3-dev] Good for windows, doubtful for others

Martin Schoenbeck ms.usenet.nospam at schoenbeck.de
Mon Feb 13 16:45:29 CET 2006

Hi Elmar,

Elmar Hinz schrieb:

> I am not in panic. I will not be the helpless user. I just argued from the
> beginning that I don't think it right to bring users into difficulties, if that
> can be avoided by doing the step with an early announcement.

But it won't do it going the proposed way, too. Those extensions writers,
which now, for example, use the dbal, will be able to easily adopt their
extensions, if they didn't already. As René wrote, extensions could be
ready by now, if using the right path variables. Those, who don't care,
won't care, even if there is much time. And any user, who is now able to
use symlinks, will be able to use symlinks then. So a simple script to
install the necessary symlinks will do.

> It is rather a general question of philosophy concerning the responsible
> interation with endusers.

But the actual problems for those, having only ftp-access is as big as it
would be to run a script, for those having shell access.

And to make sure, novice users don't miss this information, I proposed to
deliver in the first step symlinks to a script, telling them, that someone
tried to access components an old styled way. Then they could easily start
the abovementioned script, to create the necessary symlink for the old
methods. While those, using uptodate extensions, would never the this
information, it would help, to identify those extensions needing an update.

> But it indeed isn't that big thing to solve. There
> will be bigger changes than this with 4.0.

Yet another good reason, to do it in the same step smoothly.

Martin
--
Bitte nicht an der E-Mail-Adresse fummeln, die paßt so.