[TYPO3-dev] Removing symlinks in V 4.0

Mathias Schreiber mathias.schreiber at wmdb.de
Mon Feb 13 11:33:32 CET 2006

Elmar Hinz wrote:
> I haven't read any convincing argument in this thread. Just opinions.
> Most postings haven't even given any argument. Still the best
> argument is that redundent files will be removed on windows.

There are a few more but all in all they are the same.
Like "the symlinked files are hard to understand for novice users" or
"people without symlinks (which includes windows) have an easier way to
install/update the source".
Another one would be to skip the need for ZIP distros which confuse users.
Technically, there is no need. It's all about convinience :)

> There is one so called argument in this thread: "Developrs don't fix
> there code timely if you give them a time corridor, so we need a
> sudden change now".
>
> Is that an argument? Is there any logic in it at all? It can't find
> the logic. How does the one follow of the other? How should an
> argument without logic convince?

I guess this does not point to the original issue.
This points at the derived argument "time-corridor".
So this should be cleared out finally :)

> The developers laziness to do a timely fixing is not an argument to
> do a sudden break. The worse. It is an offending of developes, even
> if it would be true for the majority. For the developers ot important
> extensions it is even untrue.

agreed, now we are talking the same
.
>> Both requirements are met.
>> What do you think?
>
> I can't judge Dennis' idea without testing it. If there is a solution
> that workes cleanly I am the first to support it.

cool