[TYPO3-dev] Removing symlinks in V 4.0

Mon Feb 13 11:23:55 CET 2006

Mathias Schreiber schrieb:
> Elmar Hinz wrote:
>
>>Mathias, aren't you nerved when you are forced to repeat you even in
>>the same thread. Because people write without having taken up the
>>information that you have given just before. That doesn't make the NG
>>more readable an costs a lot of peoples time.
>

> I guess this is jsut the same for people which do not take arguments that
> are contrary to their own into account ;-)

I have always been the biggest critic for any functionality that is provided
twice. You can't say that I don't support to remove it. But I don't support this
hectic way to do it, after nobody cared for it for years.

I haven't read any convincing argument in this thread. Just opinions. Most
postings haven't even given any argument. Still the best argument is that
redundent files will be removed on windows.

There is one so called argument in this thread: "Developrs don't fix there code
timely if you give them a time corridor, so we need a sudden change now".

Is that an argument? Is there any logic in it at all? It can't find the logic.
How does the one follow of the other? How should an argument without logic
convince?

The developers laziness to do a timely fixing is not an argument to do a sudden
break. The worse. It is an offending of developes, even if it would be true for
the majority. For the developers ot important extensions it is even untrue.

> Ok, so we have these two "groups":
> - The developers who want to get rid of symlinks
> - The users who might encounter problems with extensions
>
> So the job description is to bring those two together.
> I like Dennis' idea very much, I don't know if you read it...
> Remove the symlinks and introduce a rewrite rule that fixes the paths, et
> voila...
> Both requirements are met.
> What do you think?

I can't judge Dennis' idea without testing it. If there is a solution that
workes cleanly I am the first to support it.

best regards

/el