[TYPO3-dev] Removing symlinks in V 4.0

Mathias Schreiber mathias.schreiber at wmdb.de
Mon Feb 13 10:17:23 CET 2006

Elmar Hinz wrote:
> Mathias, aren't you nerved when you are forced to repeat you even in
> the same thread. Because people write without having taken up the
> information that you have given just before. That doesn't make the NG
> more readable an costs a lot of peoples time.

I guess this is jsut the same for people which do not take arguments that
are contrary to their own into account ;-)

> If people critizise TYPO3 it is mainly because of difficulties with
> extensions, less for difficulties with the core. If decisions are
> made, that will for sure result in more conflicts with extensions
> that disserves the project as a whole. That is acceptable if there is
> no alternative. But it is a pitty if this conflicst could be avoided
> for the most used extensions by giving a reasonable corridor of time.
> I already repeat me.

Ok, so we have these two "groups":
- The developers who want to get rid of symlinks
- The users who might encounter problems with extensions

So the job description is to bring those two together.
I like Dennis' idea very much, I don't know if you read it...
Remove the symlinks and introduce a rewrite rule that fixes the paths, et
voila...
Both requirements are met.
What do you think?