[TYPO3-dev] Removing symlinks in V 4.0

Mathias Schreiber mathias.schreiber at wmdb.de
Mon Feb 13 09:23:34 CET 2006

Michael Stucki wrote:
> I'm sure that you've been expecting my response ;-)

Not really, because you and the rest got me totally wrong *knocks head on
table*

> This is something I will probably never understand: They run their
> webserver on Windows because of some funny policies and because it is
> "easier to maintain" (yes, some people think so).
>
> But then - they still use Apache/MySQL/PHP which all of them need to
> be configured via the same text-files like those used on Unix (where
> all of these components were originally intended for, btw.)

LALALA can't hear ya.
I am mostly talking IIS btw. but this is not the point.

> Hmmm. Just to make it clear: The symlinks will not be removed because
> we want to finalize the "port" of TYPO3 to Windows. This is just a
> nice side-effect for you. So please don't make any announcements that
> development of TYPO3 4.0 has been focused to become
> "Ready-for-Windows" or so... :-)

I DON'T USE WINDOWS WEBSERVERS AND I DON'T WANT ANYONE TO USE THEM!!!!
But maybe you understand PHP better :)

$typo3UpdateOnWindows = 'horror';
$typo3GainingOnEnterpriseMarket = 1;
/**
 * Customer satisfaction on a scale from 1 to 10
 */
$windowsAdminSatisfaction = 5;
$symlinks = 'unneeded';

unset($symlinks);
$typo3UpdateOnWindows = 'easy';
$windowsAdminSatisfaction = 9;
$updateHassleForFTPUsers = 0;
$updateHassleForUsersWhoDontKnowLinux = 0;

This more clear?
I don't say windows is our primary target, I just point out the "nice
side-effect" which will help us in that matter.

 >> Every day that passes, our advantage over crappy stuff is getting
>> smaller. Why?
>> We lead - they follow.
>
> If "we" = Windows webservers, then you should have a close look at the
> Netcraft statistics from time to time...

WE = TYPO3.
Quote: "Mambo is so much easier to update"
Get it now?

>> This means we spend time on THINKING of how something could work
>> while they simply copycat our thoughts.
>
> Oh, that's some other "we". Didn't know that you are working for
> Microsoft...

arrrghhh

But hopefully you got the basic idea of my post by now.
After writing all of this I found another bottomline maybe:
"The side effect on windows machines is another BIG plus for removing the
symlinks"

Disclaimer:
- The Author does not host any windows webservers running TYPO3
- The Author is not associated with Microsoft Inc., Redmond USA
- The Author is not on the payroll of Microsoft Inc, Redmond USA
- The Author is not announcing ANYTHING
- The Author is trying to have a productive discussion