[TYPO3-dev] Removing symlinks in V 4.0

Patrick Gaumond patrick at typo3quebec.org
Mon Feb 13 03:11:34 CET 2006

Elmar Hinz wrote:
>> (and test *before*!) The hobbyist will possibly wait, or learn...the
>> hardway but remember, even if it's free of charge, TYPO3 is still an
>> Enterprise software, not your usual Mambo...   ;)

> In opposite to hobbyist software you define enterprise software as a software
> where sudden unprepared breaks are O.K., because the professionals can react to
> it. That's a definition.

That's not what I wrote. What I said is that a professional is supposed
to have some clue about deployment of a newer version of a software. I
opposed hobbyist because if your local installation or your chess
community website suffer for half a day, it will not be that bad.

In other words, professionals will not have to react, they should be
proactive and test their installation before upgrading the live server.
Are you saying that people using custom extensions will update their
installation before testing it?

Look at the job made in the bugtracker. Do you really think that
symlinks are the biggest challenge ahead? I would be more afraid of the
impact of TV 1.0, rtehtmlarea as default, Index Search 3 and the latest
CSS Styled Content than symlinks...

> USA is a wounderfull land. There are still so many fields where they can improve
> things. Banks, cars, cheese, democracy, measurs, OS, ... Best conditions for
> real entrepreneurs. ;-)

Good for them, I live in Québec.  ;)

And yes there's better cheese than Cheez Whiz...
http://www.freeinfosociety.com/images/cuisine/addwhiz.jpg

Bon Appétit!

Patrick