[TYPO3-dev] Removing symlinks in V 4.0

Fri Feb 10 21:23:27 CET 2006

René Fritz schrieb:
>>For the seriousity of TYPO3 I find extensions that suddenly don't work any
>>more a big problem. Working with symlinks isn't pretty, but not a real
>>problem. I could accept such an hard step, if it would be the only way to
>>go.
>

> It isn't such a hard step because you can still use symlinks like you do now
> and all works like before.

I agree that I could be harder. But it will bring unexperienced users into
desperate situations. when their extensions suddenly don't work any more only
because of a regular update.

I think, it has a bad taste to do go this way. This bad style at least could be
avaided by early anouncement that this kind of hard linking extensions will be
obsolate, with version XY. But it is indeed not worth this big descussion.

Symlinks are not such a problem. The doubling up of the code on MS is the really
ugly side. But I wouldn't care to much for people running TYPO3 on a MS server.

/el