[TYPO3-dev] Removing symlinks in V 4.0

Michael Scharkow mscharkow at gmx.net
Fri Feb 10 21:00:19 CET 2006

Michael Stucki wrote:

> Just compare this with the DB API which is present for more than a year
> already. If we could somehow disable the direct execution of the mysql_*
> functions, people would finally start to change their extensions.

Stucki,

you know as well as I do that not stepping on the extension developers'
feet in this issue is apparently not a technical problem but a political
decision. And I seriously doubt we will get rid of mysql_* in the
foreseeable future.

I'm all for removing symlinks, and if some extensions under some
circumstances break, who cares. There's plenty of extensions like that
already, the ones not working with DBAL, not working on Windows, not
working with PHP4, etc.

Greetings,
Michael