[TYPO3-dev] Removing symlinks in V 4.0

Ries van Twisk typo3 at rvt.dds.nl
Fri Feb 10 20:03:01 CET 2006

Michael Stucki wrote:

>Hi René,
>

>>>For the seriousity of TYPO3 I find extensions that suddenly don't work
>>>any more a big problem. Working with symlinks isn't pretty, but not a
>>>real problem. I could accept such an hard step, if it would be the only
>>>way to go.
>>>

>>It isn't such a hard step because you can still use symlinks like you do
>>now and all works like before.
>>
>>But the changes ALLOW to discard the symlinks which might result in a few
>>non-working extensions which can be fixed easily.
>>

>Full ACK. If we don't change it now, nobody will notice that his extension
>needs to be changed.
>
>Just compare this with the DB API which is present for more than a year
>already. If we could somehow disable the direct execution of the mysql_*
>functions, people would finally start to change their extensions.

For that, we can let TER scan a extension with it's plugins and validate
a couple of items and reject the
addition of a plugin based on a couple of rules.
Also this can be used the clasify an extension during generation of a
list for example.

Currently it is to easy (well done typo3, seriously!) to add a extension
to TER that's why there are so many useless
extension out there. +3000 isn't it?

Ries