[TYPO3-dev] Removing symlinks in V 4.0

Michael Stucki michael at typo3.org
Fri Feb 10 19:07:49 CET 2006

Hi René,

>> For the seriousity of TYPO3 I find extensions that suddenly don't work
>> any more a big problem. Working with symlinks isn't pretty, but not a
>> real problem. I could accept such an hard step, if it would be the only
>> way to go.
>
> It isn't such a hard step because you can still use symlinks like you do
> now and all works like before.
>
> But the changes ALLOW to discard the symlinks which might result in a few
> non-working extensions which can be fixed easily.

Full ACK. If we don't change it now, nobody will notice that his extension
needs to be changed.

Just compare this with the DB API which is present for more than a year
already. If we could somehow disable the direct execution of the mysql_*
functions, people would finally start to change their extensions.

- michael
--
Use a newsreader! Check out