[TYPO3-dev] Typo3 Icon Contribution

Michael Stucki michael at typo3.org
Thu Aug 24 14:25:15 CEST 2006

Hi Erik, Tom & Peter,

thanks for your answers!

> I suppose the world are looking quite different from the "bug-fixing" team
> and from the people who report the bugs. I'm trying to make an example.
> Say it's about 1000 "not resolved" bugs, and there are 10 persons in the
> bug-fixing team. Each of them has to use 50 hours (maybe more) just to
> read/test the bugs (summing up to 500 hours, which could have been used to
> developing TYPO3 4.1, 4.2, 4.3, 4.4, 4.5 and 5.0), with a large
> possibility that most of the bugs can't be reproduced at all (because of
> different platforms and so on). So it's more and less impossible to tell
> if its solved, need more testing or some rare combination of software who
> made the bug.
>
> I think it's a better use of resources and competencies to have us all to
> make new bug reports if necessary.

Or simply reopen them of course...

> But some critism should be given:
> The way this topic is communicated to the community isn't the best way. It
> should have been given a real notice on typo3.org what was going to happen
> and why.

OK, point taken.

In Dietikon we did some brainstorming about things that should be improved.
I've collected a lot of notes and ideas and will put them together soon. I
will also mention this so we can improve next time.

> In this case every bug reporter should have been given some days
> to update the bug report if it persist in 4.x, and/or give patches. Then
> bugs who wasn't updated should be closed.

Hmm, why? There is nothing wrong with closing a bug since it can be reopened
very easily. So why do duplicate work if it's possible in one go?

> Another way to handle old bugs. After the bug is for instance more than
> one year old (or belongs to an "obsolete" version, don't misunderstand),
> automaticly send a mail to the reporter where he is asked to confirm that
> bug persist in newer/newest versions.

We'll try doing so in future.

>> As Peter said, it is very discouraging to hear that you treat bug
>> reports like this.  :-(
>>
>> /Peter Kindström
>
> I also feel it discouraging, but I understand the need to clean the sheets
> sometimes. To me the problem isn't closing all bugs from version 3.7 and
> older, but that it could have been handled in a better way - certainly
> communicated better.
>
> But this is one of the really big challenges in a large community. Making
> information and communicating as transparent as possible.

I agree completely!

Regards, michael
--
Use a newsreader! Check out