[TYPO3-dev] Typo3 Icon Contribution

Erik Svendsen erik at linnearad.no
Thu Aug 24 12:51:28 CEST 2006

Hello Peter,

> Hi,
>
>>> I really don't want to spend another 30 min. for each bug I have
>>> reported, investigating if the bugs is still present in 4.x.,
>>>
>> But you expect that a developer spends this amount of time for each
>> bug which _you_ have reported, where he probably doesn't even know
>> how to reproduce the problem?
>>
> To me it seems very strange to just close a bug report without
> testing the bug fix first?
> And if it is hard to test, why not note that on the bug report
> at set that report in a special state - "needs testing" or
> something? Then the reporter could help with that test.
> I seems to me like you need some sort of better routine on how to
> administer bug fixing...

I suppose the world are looking quite different from the "bug-fixing" team
and from the people who report the bugs. I'm trying to make an example. Say
it's about 1000 "not resolved" bugs, and there are 10 persons in the bug-fixing
team. Each of them has to use 50 hours (maybe more) just to read/test the
bugs (summing up to 500 hours, which could have been used to developing TYPO3
4.1, 4.2, 4.3, 4.4, 4.5 and 5.0), with a large possibility that most of the
bugs can't be reproduced at all (because of different platforms and so on).
So it's more and less impossible to tell if its solved, need more testing
or some rare combination of software who made the bug.

I think it's a better use of resources and competencies to have us all to
make new bug reports if necessary.

But some critism should be given:
The way this topic is communicated to the community isn't the best way. It
should have been given a real notice on typo3.org what was going to happen
and why. In this case every bug reporter should have been given some days
to update the bug report if it persist in 4.x, and/or give patches. Then
bugs who wasn't updated should be closed.

Another way to handle old bugs. After the bug is for instance more than one
year old (or belongs to an "obsolete" version, don't misunderstand), automaticly
send a mail to the reporter where he is asked to confirm that bug persist
in newer/newest versions.

> As Peter said, it is very discouraging to hear that you treat bug
> reports like this.  :-(
>
> /Peter Kindström

I also feel it discouraging, but I understand the need to clean the sheets
sometimes. To me the problem isn't closing all bugs from version 3.7 and
older, but that it could have been handled in a better way - certainly communicated
better.

But this is one of the really big challenges in a large community. Making
information and communicating as transparent as possible.

WBR,
Erik Svendsen
www.linnearad.no