[TYPO3-dev] Typo3 Icon Contribution

Christopher bedlamhotel at gmail.com
Fri Aug 18 22:10:34 CEST 2006

Hi Tapio,

On 8/18/06, Tapio Markula <tapio.markula at dnainternet.net> wrote:
> Christopher wrote:
>
> > Sorry if this seems like a stupid question--I have /not/ dug into the
> > skinning API or looked very deeply into the new skin.  But why would
> > styling tags directly be a bad idea?
>
> these are extremely annoyin
>
> $TBE_STYLES['mainColors'] = array(      // Always use #xxxxxx color definitions!
>                         'bgColor' => '#F4F4F4',
>                         'bgColor2' => '#F2F2F2',
>                         'bgColor3' => '#EEEEEE',
>                         'bgColor4' => '#F2F2F2',
>                         'bgColor5' => '#F9F9F9',
>                         'bgColor6' => '#ABABAB',
>
>         );
> Reason because they concern *only* colors,
> but class can have border-properties, backgrounds and colors, font-size etc.
>
> I just hate very deeply such desing, which TemplaVoila 1.1
> has - it use $TBE_STYLES with style atteributes - that could not be
> worse for proper skinning.

I think one of us has missed the point a little--Martin had said that
styles /without classes/ were for some reason bad. I interpreted this
to mean that he thought e.g.

p.bodytext { ... }

...was somehow better than a default value like:

p { ... }

...that could be adjusted with classes when the defaults were inappropriate:

p.foo { ... }

The latter is how I work--cuts down tremendously on the excess cruft
in the code. I'll reiterate that assigning a class to every element by
default borders on insanity--it's an absolutely terrible way of
writing markup.

As I mentioned, I'm not at all familiar with the skinning API--but
judging /only/ by the HTML output in the BE, I'd guess it must be
awesomely inflexible (truly incredible numbers of table cells and
deprecated presentational attributes).

-Christopher