[TYPO3-dev] Better TER categories

Thomas Hempel thomas at work.de
Tue Aug 15 12:16:34 CEST 2006

Hi Michael,

> after the huge motivational boost from T3DD06, I'd like to make TER more
> useful. One key to that is categorization. At the moment we have a
> handful of categories, which is great for sectioning in EM but sucks for
> more precise categorization.
That's funny, I had a talk about exactly that thema this weekend. ;-)

> 1. Do we want 1 ext -1 cat relationships like we have now, or tag-like 1
> ext - N categories? The former is certainly easier to manage, since we
> only need to update the list of official categories. Simple categories
> also allow for sectioning in the EM list interface. OTOH, tags are more
> flexible and trendy ;)
I would like to see a 1:n relationship. That would make it much easier for
developers to categorize their work. And I think that would make it easier to
find some extensions due to select different categories.
By thinking about this I cam up with the idea to implmement something like
filters as we know them from Mantis. For example, you select extensions in
categorie A and B but not in C, with this or that date of last update and so on.
So you can simply find all extensions that can be used for displaying galleries
and that where updated less than a year ago.

> 2. If we stick with categories we need a hierarchical tree, so that you
> can ideally match your extension to a distinct category, or simply move
> up one generalization level if you're in doubt or don't have a perfect
> match...
Hm.. I don't think this absolutely necessary. Maybe it's a nice to have thingy!?

Greets,
Thomas

--
typo3-unleashed.net