[Typo3-dev] TypoScript 2: a bit of a RFC

Wed Nov 30 15:30:46 CET 2005

dan frost wrote:
> As requested, I have started this thread.
>
> We all know what this is about. TS is great, but a little bit
> over-weight and needs to be brought up-to-date. There are loads of ideas
> in the community - so let's make it happen this time.
>
> We need a roadmap to get us to a completely stable TypoScript v2 - but,
> what will it be? Will it be backwards compatible? Will it be stored in

Backwards compatible:

I don't think it should be backwards compatible in every point. The
properties and assignments should be unambiguous.

1.) Clear assignments:

Dimitri just gave this example:

page.10 = HTML
page.10.value = HTML

The same assignment for a value and and the creation of an object.

This would be clearer:

page.10 * HTML
page.10.value = HTML

I use * as a sign for the birth of a new object.

2.) Clear property names:

If a property has the name "value" it should allways be of the same data
type. Currently the datatype depends on the object or function the
property belongs to and can differ even if the name is the same.

3.) No hierachies of properties:

Some objects or functions have several levels of properties. Properties
of properties are confusing. If possible that should be avoided. What is
the alternative?

Maybe it would be possible to provide a transfer mode switch for a
smooth transit form TS 1 to TS 2.

> XML?...  What resources do we need? Who will help define, built and test
> it?

Which is the fastest way to store and fetch an object tree into a
sring/database? A xml representation or one of these?

serialize, var_export, wddx_serialize_value

Should XML and TS be used as formats to configure the objecttree while
the tree itself is serialized?

Should XML and TS be generated out of the stored object tree when needed
or stored in parallel?

> We need a deadline for this thread: how about all ideas + rough plans
> published my the end of next week?
>
> Dan

Do you think to establish an official project group TS 2?

Regards

Elmar

--
Climate change 2005: Mexico, Guatemala, New Orleans, Sahel, Bangladesh,
Spain, Portugal, Austria, Swiss, France, ...