[Typo3-dev] TypoScript 2: a bit of a RFC

Dimitri Tarassenko mitka at mitka.us
Wed Nov 30 16:01:35 CET 2005

> page.10 = HTML
> page.10.value = HTML
>
> The same assignment for a value and and the creation of an object.
>
> This would be clearer:
>
> page.10 * HTML
> page.10.value = HTML
>
> I use * as a sign for the birth of a new object.

As an alternative:

page.10(HTML) {
    value = "HTML"
}

the () to specify prototypes can also replace very confusing < operator, as in:

page {
    20(10)
}

Essentially, as Martin just noted,

page.10 = HTML

is an assignment of implicitly defined value HTML to a new element 10.
However, when we assign an element 20 an explicitly defined value
stored in 10 we use

20<10

The other thing that bugs me a lot is string value syntax in TS. For
example, you can't define a string value that ends or begins with a
space. In wrap values, you can't use pipe characters. I vote for
quote-terminated strings with \-escaping as in C/PHP. ;)

--
Dimitri Tarassenko