[Typo3-dev] Non-GPL licence on a GPL extension

Martin Kutschker martin.kutschker-n0spam at no5pam-blackbox.net
Thu Nov 24 22:00:41 CET 2005

JoH schrieb:

> ???? - Sorry? - I think you misunderstood the whole thing completely.
> If your interpretation of the GPL was reality this would mean that nobody
> could use TYPO3 running on Microsoft-SQL-Servers?

Why? There's no direct "linking" between TYPO3's PHP code and the
server. And the GPL explicitely exempts

> Running TYPO3 on my local machine would mean that I am not allowed to use
> software packages I paid for together with it?
> I would be not allowed to create an extension using TYPO3s DMail-Plugin
> together with Tobit Faxware as a sender?

If you use a Tobit Faxware via PHP API then the PHP-API has to be
GPL-compatible. If you're simply doing exec()s or are writing to a pipe,
etc than there are no licening issues.

See http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#IfLibraryIsGPL

TYPO3 as a framework consists of libraries. The "viral" aspect of the
GPL forces any used library to obey the GPL rules.

> If this was true I guess most of the bigger projects on the so called
> "enterprise level" would have been impossible to do, since most of the
> global players are using commercial software that has to work together with
> TYPO3.
>
> GPL only says that every piece of code you distribute together with TYPO3
> has to be GPLed.

No. Every linked code has to be GPL-compatible as well.

Masi