[Typo3-dev] Non-GPL licence on a GPL extension

JoH info at cybercraft.de
Thu Nov 24 19:35:16 CET 2005

>>> This is NOT what I wrote. To the contrary! You can NEVER use any
>>> non-GPL-compatible code with TYPO3 except if you use a CLI-API.
>>
>> Incorrect. You can not distribute TYPO3 with parts that are not GPL.
>> When you USE it you may do as you please.
>>
>>> There are no exceptions to the GPL. Any custom code you write for
>>> customers has to be GPL'ed (or be in a compatible licence).
>>
>> Incorrect. Any custom code that you CHOOSE to distribute (and you
>> don't have to) has to be GPL'ed.
>
> Why would the user be exempt from the licence?!!
>
> Everyone including developers and the end users have to obey the
> licence rules which say no to linking with non-GPL compatible code.
>
> If the user could mix GPL and non-GPL code there would be no point in
> using the GPL at all.

???? - Sorry? - I think you misunderstood the whole thing completely.
If your interpretation of the GPL was reality this would mean that nobody
could use TYPO3 running on Microsoft-SQL-Servers?
Running TYPO3 on my local machine would mean that I am not allowed to use
software packages I paid for together with it?
I would be not allowed to create an extension using TYPO3s DMail-Plugin
together with Tobit Faxware as a sender?
If this was true I guess most of the bigger projects on the so called
"enterprise level" would have been impossible to do, since most of the
global players are using commercial software that has to work together with
TYPO3.

GPL only says that every piece of code you distribute together with TYPO3
has to be GPLed.
This means you can create i.e. a "Tobit David Connector" which can be GPLed
while the client still has to buy a commercial copy of David if he wants to
use it.
The user himself can do almost anything with TYPO3 since the GPL allows him
to modify it however he likes.

The only disadvantage I see for the original poster is that the VTS will not
be very successful if it depends on commercial third party software.
So I don't htink it's worth to put all the efforts in the development of
something people refuse to use lateron due to licensing fees.

Joey

Dieter Nuhr, German comedian
openBC: http://www.openbc.com/go/invuid/Jo_Hasenau