[Typo3-dev] Non-GPL licence on a GPL extension

Wed Nov 23 00:24:00 CET 2005

Carlos Chiari wrote:
> Hi List:
>
> I found a nice package to render charts and graphs in FLASH, much like
> Google Analytics.
>
> http://www.infosoftglobal.com/FusionCharts/Default.asp?gMenuItemId=1
>

> The product isn't GPL, although the generated movies are royalty free.
>
> Could be there any problem using their product in the VTS?
>
> Sorry to ask. I am not very aware of the legalities of the issue.
>
> Regards,
>
> Carlos

Hi Carlos,

if you build any extension on TYPO3 you garentee that your code is GPL.
If you implement that code into your extension you make it GPL and you
get into conflicts with the InfoSoft, cause you change their license.

This is what I guess you can do:

First you can do, is to ask them for a kind of dual license. MySql does
something like this.

Second you can do, is to only provide a connector extension, if the
product has an API to exchange data. This means you only exchange data,
but you don't include their libraries or their code.

That product itself you use under it's regular license and you install
it independantly.

I am no lawyer!!!

Elmar

--
Climate change 2005: Mexico, Guatemala, New Orleans, Sahel, Bangladesh,
Spain, Portugal, Austria, Swiss, France, ...