[Typo3-dev] I don't want to fork!

David Bruehlmeier typo3 at bruehlmeier.com
Mon Nov 21 16:58:11 CET 2005

> Hello Dave,
>
> maybe I don't understand you right. The discussion started because of
> the incompatibilities between extesnsions that two address tables cause,
> fe_user and tt_address. Now you propose to establish a *third* address
> table? Is that right?

No, I propose to have *one central* table for partners with all common
attributes. This central table is then linked to all dependant tables
(like fe_users or others) and all redundant attributes are sync'ed from
the central table.

I agree that this could be tt_address, no doubt. But the current design
of tt_address is in no way such that it could be used as a decent
"central partner storage". That's one of the main reasons why - for my
partner-extension - I chose to create a new one.

However, my thinking was to get a group of interested developers
together, take over the tt_address extension and redesign it in a way to
offer a future-proof solution.

This would then be (one) answer to the original post: some of the
existing extensions offering address-functionality could be integrated
into the new tt_address and by sync'ing dependant tables, backwards
compatibility would still be preserved.

- Dave.