[Typo3-dev] I don't want to fork!

Mon Nov 21 07:54:52 CET 2005

David Bruehlmeier wrote:

> interesting discussion and very similar to thoughts I've had for some
> time. I think a good solution might be to have a central table for all
> (business-) partners, may it be real persons or organisations. This
> table holds all attributes like address, birthdate, contact-information,
> legal status, etc. Additionally, this table can hold references to other
> tables (like fe_users, be_users, more?). A sync mechanism makes sure
> that the redundant data (e.g. the e-mail address in fe_users) is kept
> consistent (for backwards compatibility).
>
> If you agree this is a valuable solution, I'm very happy because it is
> exactly what my extension 'partner' offers
> (http://typo3.org/extensions/repository/search/partner/)! :-) The
> current version has the sync-mechanism to fe_users still built in, but
> I'm currently moving the sync-part into a new extension, because I want
> the extension to be modular. The new sync-extension also includes a
> mechanism to sync with tt_address.
>
> <promotional>
> On top of that, the extension can also handle relationships between
> partners, so you can for instance build families or groups (e.g. a club
> structure). Each partner can have an unlimited number of
> contact-information (such as e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc.). And
> the data model is based on the xCIL/xCRL standards from OASIS so it
> should be fairly easy to exchange data with other partner-management tools.
> </promotional>
>
> I have recently been playing with the thought of trying to get a group
> of extension developers together who currently offer extensions with a
> similar focus with the goal of creating a future for tt_address. This
> new tt_address should IMO be based on the thoughts layed out above
> (central storage for common partner-attributes, syncing with dependant
> tables for backwards compatibility). It might be a nice project for
> TYPO3 5.0.
>
> What to you think?
> - Dave.

Hello Dave,

maybe I don't understand you right. The discussion started because of
the incompatibilities between extesnsions that two address tables cause,
fe_user and tt_address. Now you propose to establish a *third* address
table? Is that right?

Why don't you put your partners into tt_address and connect them to an
account of fe_users where needed, like Peter proposes, or directly into
an extended fe_users table with only additional addresses (delivery
etc.) in tt_address, like Joey and me propose? To mark them as a special
type "business partners" you could do this with a fe_user group.

That does not necessarily means that this group needs any access to
non-public pages. But with it you can offer non-public pages specially
for your business partners.

Elmar

--
Climate change 2005: Mexico, Guatemala, New Orleans, Sahel, Bangladesh,
Spain, Portugal, Austria, Swiss, France, ...