[Typo3-dev] indexed_search - Performance Issue Questions

Christoph Moeller moeller at network-publishing.de
Mon Nov 14 14:22:13 CET 2005

Hi Kasper,

Kasper Skårhøj wrote:
> Sounds like something that should not be too hard to implement for an access
> restricted page!

For sure. Just didn't have the time yet to really deeply understand your
KasperCode(tm) in the indexer and pi1 sources ;-)

>>- on some sites, indexing just doesn't work (for no apparent reason like
>>the usual "no_cache" problems...)
> If you use the Admin panel with the TypoScript part open you will see the
> reasons for not indexing is shown. There are always a reason.

Well, yes and no. We have one XHTML site where the indexer indexes fine,
but html comments only, for no apparent reason. TYPO3SEARCH markers, TS
config settings, etc. are all in place and setup like on other (working)
projects. Didn't investigate further on the behaviour of this specific
installation, because we need some additional features.

>>mnoGoSearch or DataParkSearch (mnoGo fork) seem to be the only OS
>>search/indexing engines that are capable of indexing UTF-8 content,
>>ht:dig fails because of this.
> Indexed Search is completely UTF-8 compliant.

Of course.

> If the two reasons above is why you want another engine I think its not the
> best arguments. Personally, I would rather like to see someone work actively
> on tuning indexed search's performance.

If it was only because of the above things, alright. I think Bernhard
(?) did some improvements on the preg_match stuff, didn't he (or someone
else, can't remember). But there's more features requested by this
particular customer, for example "one index for different TYPO3
instances", to be able to have a company-wide search index that spans
across multiple websites (T3/non-T3).

In short: an external opensource alternative would be fine for certain
setups.

I just had a phone call with Andreas Dolleschal/developer.at who
implemented a frontend plugin to search the mnoGoSearch index. I'll
discuss this further with Georg and Andreas and we'll see how much
work/sponsoring needs to be put into developer.at's plugin solution.

But thanks for your answer, anyway ;)
btw: first snow in the alps *g*

Greetings,
Chris