[Typo3-dev] Looking for (study-) project

Ries van Twisk typo3 at rvt.dds.nl
Mon May 23 16:39:55 CEST 2005

Hey Daniel,

> Hi Ries, Markus, Masi,
>
> really an interesting discussion :-)
>
> I think (MHO) one main reason Kasper wrote typo3 in PHP is, that
> hosting can be very cheap and easy.
>
> So a RichClient should work with PHP on server-side. Java on
> client-side is shit, because very long loading-time and problems
> because of microsoft-marketing-politics.
>
> About 98% of the home-clients have the FLASH-plug.
>
> Maybe you know MING, what renders PHP-code to the flash-format.
>
> I think nobody would need a Flash-powered Backend - but some nice
> frontend-effects would be superfine. I think that would be a realistic
> start for Typo3.
>
> Ming is a C library for generating SWF ("Flash") format movies. I
> found a wiki for Ming. http://www.opaque.net/wiki/index.php?Ming
>
> => So it would be interesting if somebody started a RichClient-project
> for PHP what is based on MING.
>
> HaveANiceSunday
> Daniel

I think a flash powered BE would really benefit typo3 in most cases...
When I have been reading the discussions about typo3 and it's steep
learning curve then I think making a flashy backend
will attract even more professional users.
That's the reason why most, if not all software vendors make really
'flashy' software because it looks cool (so it must be good...).
Also, re-loading the pagetree in the BE can be speeded up dramasticly
when using a flash based component since only XML
needs to be transfered, not a complete HTML page...
Might be also possible for other backend components....

I have seen Ming.... but not played with it but it sems a lot of extra
coding...
I have played a little bit with laszlo, very veyr easy to set up
something that looks really cool,
all coding can be done is it's own scripting language (XML based).
Communication can be done with XML.

When I have some time this week I can make a little app that can show up
de pagetree in laszlo see how it looks and feels..

Ries

--
R. van Twisk
http://www.metamorf.net

Our Typo3 enabled website: http://www.livetravelguides.com
Instand help for Typo3?    irc:/irc.freenode.net/typo3
Looking for documentation? http://typo3.org/documentation/