[Typo3-dev] Looking for (study-) project

Robert Lemke robert at typo3.org
Fri May 20 21:47:06 CEST 2005

Hi Markus,

finally I made it ... after reading, answering and deleting 2700 emails
after my 1-week holiday.

Markus Stauffiger wrote:

> As I've already told Kasper and Robert I'm looking for interessting
> projects to improve typo3. The project would be realized as a part of my
> computer sience study together with a couple of co-students.
> (~170h/student)
>
> Spontanous I've got these two ideas:
> - Improving the backend usability

That would be quite interesting - but requires thorough knowledge about
usability. Do you have that?

> - System to have a live- and production server

Yes - or a more general and flexible approach which allows content swapping
and synchronisation in various directions.

> We're very eager to hear about your ideas!

As I said on the phone already there are many things which might be
interesting for you. Some of the projects I could imagine are:

  - Content exchange between TYPO3 sites.
    Elaborate and implement a concept for automized exchange of content
    between TYPO3 sites and other content sources. Much attention should
    be laid on existing standards and how we can effiently make use of them,
    also the live- / production scenario and clustering could be part of
    that project.

  - Distributed authentication and administration for TYPO3 users.
    How can efficiently and securely administer backend and frontend users
    on different TYPO3 sites located on different servers?
    Single-Sign-On, LDAP, SOAP, ... are some more keywords for this topic

  - Content rendering for various output formats
    On the planned site docs.typo3.org we will need a solution for rendering
    a common input format (currently open office writer documents) into
    different output formats (single HTML, multiple HTML, PDF,
    DocBook, ...).

  - Unit-Testing and Refactoring
    The upcoming redesign of the TYPO3 Extension Repository includes
    capabilities for centralized unit testing of certain extensions and the
    TYPO3 core. How can we do functionality tests? What tools could be
    created for improving PHP code and simplify refactoring?
    Similar tools exist for Smalltalk and Java, what about such a tool for
    PHP5?

... and much more ;-)

--
robert