[Typo3-dev] New skin for TYPO3

JoH info at cybercraft.de
Fri Jun 3 15:06:07 CEST 2005

>> If this is going to be something like "TYPO3 goes WIN XP" you should
>> reconsider the whole concept, since IMHO this would make things
>> worse than they are now.
>
> This is your personal opinion, but please also consider the end-user
> who is used to winXP/Aqua Desktops. It has to look somehow like that,
> to look familiar an appealing to end-users, otherwise IMO we lose
> track of the main goal.

Fine for me - as long as I won't be forced to use this TYPO3-XP-skin.
IMHO there's no sense in imitating XP designs regardless of their quality
and usability.
Redesigning the backend look should not be regarded as a marketing issue
only.

> I respect your opinion and take it seriously, but keep in mind that we
> don't redesign the backend here, the possibilities for
> usability-enhancements are very limited.

Well - you don't reprogram it, but you redesign it. So the functionality
will stay the same while the look changes.
But a huge part of usability problems is resulting from the look and not
from functionality.
So if you are using colors just to make something look like the TYPO3-Logo
but without any other reasonable use you are losing track of the main goal.
IMHO the main goal should be to create a sophisticated look that will make
using the backend easier.

Have a look at the modified version of your png here, to see what I mean:
http://4any1.de/fileadmin/screenshot_t3skin_light.png
Just changed the brightness and saturation for the colored bars and
converted negative text to black.
The eye is not attracted by the main menu on the left anymore, thus working
inside the blue area and concentrating on the details there will be easier.
Another version with swapped orange and blue for the bars.
http://4any1.de/fileadmin/screenshot_t3skin_light.png
The tones are far from being perfect, but they show you the direction.

> Those thoughts can be raised again for the dummy-user-interface idea
> presented on t3board.

I don't think so. The dummy interface is primarily about reduced
functionality.
Enhancing usability just by design will be useful for both, the regular
_and_ the dummy interface.

Joey

Dieter Nuhr, German comedian
openBC: http://www.openbc.com/go/invuid/Jo_Hasenau