[Typo3-dev] New skin for TYPO3

Thomas Murphy murphy at spreekonzept.de
Fri Jun 3 16:27:17 CEST 2005

JoH wrote:
> So if you are using colors just to make something look like the TYPO3-Logo
> but without any other reasonable use you are losing track of the main goal.

True. And I see your point with the colors, but have to admit that maybe
I just like these powerful colors. But if they would be exchanged with
something different, this would have to be an even darker color for IMO,
because light colors everywhere don't generate the neccessary contrast
to seperate the areas from one another. What darker color would that be?
Blue or Grey? I think this would drop the whole fresh look it has now.

> IMHO the main goal should be to create a sophisticated look that will make
> using the backend easier.

Agreed, but from my point of view it's exactly what I did - only the
users can tell if I succeeded.

> The tones are far from being perfect, but they show you the direction.

The tones are the problem, they change everything - if you lighten them
up, the whole form of the design disappears. I you darken them, it gets
to hard. Using only one color in the backend, e.g. blue would make it a
'blue' skin, that's not the direction I wanted, more like 'colorful' but
neutral.

> I don't think so. The dummy interface is primarily about reduced
> functionality.
> Enhancing usability just by design will be useful for both, the regular
> _and_ the dummy interface.

Maybe I already think different about the dummy-user-interface by
thinking about it for too long now, the idea was always on my mind since
the tour and the skin actually seemed just to be a first step into
designing something new (I would love that, but the time...). In my idea
it's not only a reduced interface but maybe an accessible alternative,
based purely on div's and css, mostly table-less, valid XHTML, that
'grows' in complexity with your rights-level.

bye,
Thomas