[Typo3-dev] Typo3 Application Server

Kraft Bernhard kraftb at mokka.at
Mon Jan 24 19:09:24 CET 2005

Hallo List,

I lately had thoughts about an Typo3 Application Server.

Let me explain what I understand under this term.
For me an Application Server (like Zope) is an application which always
runs and waits for incoming requests. When a request comes in it does a
specific task.
I tought of an php application which always runs. So a CGI/CLI application
like the dmailer script or similar. It has to set set_timeout(0) to run
forever so safe_mode restrictions don't have to be set for this kind of
PHP environment.
This application should have some possibility to get controlled from an
webinterface (probably over IPC in linux and files/fifos in windows).
It should the be able to load modules which do specific tasks. It should
be able to support the developer with cross-plattform socket and IPC functions.
the modules to controll the single application modules can be implemented
as BE modules.

i think it should be possible to implement this outside of the core as
an extension.

chat's, automatically updating "online-users" and whatever else needs an
HTTP connections which stays "online" for updating the sent content (for
example via javascript) could be implemented with such an application server.

what do you think about such a thing ?

greets,
Bernhard