[Typo3-dev] Extension manager and CVS information bug or feature

Michael Scharkow mscharkow at gmx.net
Fri Jan 21 22:55:24 CET 2005

Kasper Skårhøj wrote:

> You have an install function
> You have a delete function
> Why make an update function (with a new range of possible bug-scenarios)
> when you can combine delete and install?

I did not say it's the easier way, but maybe more elegant. No, I'm not
starting the elegant vs. works now and is bug-free discussion again ;)

> Further, you surely do expect an "update" to make the installed version
> completely the same as the one you update to!

The files the extension actually requires are identical to the one you
update to.

> Although I can see your point I can also see a heap of other things I
> would rather spend time on doing for TYPO3 before that.

Again, that's a different point, and I did *not* complain and ask you to
do it.

> Please never refer to intended behaviour as a bug, it has a very high
> tendency of rightfully annoying the author.

Sorry, no offense meant, I did _not_ at first perceive this as intended
behaviour, but as a missing feature. Actually, I've had the same
argument today in the bugtracker when a reporter would not recognize
intended behaviour as such.

>>PS: The upload/merge/download cycle bugs me a lot, how about moving the
>>"merge translations from TER" functionality from typo3.org to the EM.
>>Isn't there a similar feature already when you check "get recent
>>translations" on installing an extension. This would make dev life a
>>little easier IMHO.
>

> This is actually a good idea! It solve all problems. Thanks a lot. We
> will save this for later implementation.

At least one good idea today ;)

Greetings,
Michael