[Typo3-dev] Extension manager and CVS information bug or feature

Kasper Skårhøj kasper2005 at typo3.com
Fri Jan 21 22:27:18 CET 2005

On Fri, 2005-01-21 at 21:57, Michael Scharkow wrote:
> Hi Kasper,
>
> Kasper Skårhøj wrote:
> > The problem for a developer is this:
> >
> > - You upload your extension to TER to have translations merged in.
> > - You merge translations
> > - You download the new version to your local machine
> > ... but now the CVS directories are GONE! Oh no!
>
> I think this should not happen, because this behaviour would not be an
> update but a delete/reinstall process. I do not expect this if I press
> the update button in EM.
> Is there a rationale for not simply overwriting the current files with
> those from the extension without touching the rest? This issue is not
> only relevant for devs but also for users who'd like to maintain local
> fixes (e.g. in diffs) or *.bak etc.

You have an install function
You have a delete function
Why make an update function (with a new range of possible bug-scenarios)
when you can combine delete and install?

Further, you surely do expect an "update" to make the installed version
completely the same as the one you update to!

Although I can see your point I can also see a heap of other things I
would rather spend time on doing for TYPO3 before that.

> > So it should at least be so that the CVS directories are filtered out
> > when WRITTEN unless the user is the owner or if there is a possibility
> > to say "download with CVS dirs.
>
> I'd rather fix the above bug than work around it with double filtering
> on up/download.

Please never refer to intended behaviour as a bug, it has a very high
tendency of rightfully annoying the author.

And I would rather filter the download process now that I know how the
EM was made and can imagine what solution is done quickest.

> Greetings,
> Michael
>
> PS: The upload/merge/download cycle bugs me a lot, how about moving the
> "merge translations from TER" functionality from typo3.org to the EM.
> Isn't there a similar feature already when you check "get recent
> translations" on installing an extension. This would make dev life a
> little easier IMHO.

This is actually a good idea! It solve all problems. Thanks a lot. We
will save this for later implementation.

- kasper